WAM Final Project

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

http://jaycut.com/mix/30333/preview

The preceding clip represents about 8 hours of actual editing and a few more hours reading theory from Watson and Breslow and composing an outline.

Originally, I planned to use flowgram.com, the same site Jon showed us at the beginning of the semester. Unfortunately, after a couple of bad starts, I abandoned flowgram because for some reason it would not let me upload any kind of media to the web site.

After a frantic search, I found a site called jaycut.com which offered less functionality than flowgram but offered more stability. I recorded an mp3 of myself making my main points and decided to do something we do at the DI a lot, an audio slideshow.

I know I wanted to tackle the varying defintions of community as articulated by Watson, but I really wanted to integrate that with Breslow's views of evolving political economy. The answer lay, as most things do, in Star Wars. While most of my project is basically a slide show, I found a clip of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog mocking Star Wars fans who had lined up to see Episode II: Attack of the Clones several years ago. Presumably, their gathering substitued nicely for Watson's discussions about Phish.net, especially the hierarchy that developed between mere fans and those with Vader or Stormtrooper armor. I regret I couldn't show the class the entire clip, but I guess that would've been too distracting from the point.

Anyway, after a lot of trial and error, it came together. I wish I had a little more time to polish it but it's time for finals now and I have to buckle down.

0 comments: